Edition 1 – The Perfect Squat
With the popularity of a “strong not skinny” approach to fitness, the squat is one of the most important moves to have in your workout repertoire. It’s a great no-equipment exercise to build muscle and achieve ultimate lower body gains.
Incorporating this exercise into your regular routine can do so much more than that. Squats, when performed properly can help with the following:
- Muscle building
- More efficient calorie burning
- Improved flexibility
- Mobility and Balance
- Lung and Heart strength
- Preventing injuries
- Maintain and improve joints
- Strengthening of bones
- Speed and ability to jump
- Postural Improvements
- Improve Digestion and Circulation
Unfortunately, when done improperly you are limiting yourself and risking potential injury.
James has demonstrated the do’s and don’ts to help us all get the maximum benefits from this exercise.
WELL, let’s get started!
- Keep feet shoulder width apart
- Engage the core
- Lower down as if you are sitting in an invisible chair
- Invert your knees
- Round your back as you lower yourself
- Allow your knees to be too forward
Stay tuned for more Form and Functional with James, where he will be breaking down the do’s and don’ts for many more exercises each month!
Written exclusively for WELL, Magazine Asia by James Wong